The best light therapy lamps for SAD are an ideal alternative for the natural light effect. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a kind of depression that is related to changes in season.
For a lot of people, symptoms of SAD start around the same period which could be around early winter or late fall. It is characterized by excessive sleeping, lethargy, loss of concentration, increased appetite and weight gain, high craving for sugary foods, menstrual irregularities, sadness amongst other symptoms.
Just like plants, humans require an amount of sunlight which aids the production of beneficial vitamins and hormones including serotonin and melatonin.
Serotonin aids a healthy sleep and wake pattern while serotonin has energy-boosting and mood regulation advantages.
Light also induces the production of cortisol which helps to fight stress and boost energy levels.
Lack of light effect may disrupt the sleep cycle thereby inducing the production of excess melatonin which causes excessive sleeping during the day and less serotonin which affects the mood and causes unhappiness and laziness.
The best light therapy lamp is ideal for you if you suffer from any of the following; SAD, depression, energy depletion, jet lag, and sleep disorders. With the best therapy lamp, you can stay indoors and still enjoy the therapeutic effect of soft white fluorescent light.
If you have done a quick search on light therapy lamps, you would have noticed that there are quite a handful of them and you are probably confused about making the best choice.
We have on this review, all you need to know about our top 8 best therapy lamps for SAD.
Our foremost best option is the Verilux HappyLight full-size UV Free Therapy Lamp. It stands out as a therapy lamp that features customized settings and easy-to-use functions. It emits up to 10,000 lux of mild white light that mimics the same benefit as with natural sunlight energy.
It also has the advantage of stimulating the production of hormones that improves sleep patterns, energizes your body, and improves your mood, so that you can stay energized and productive all day long.
Check out the stand-out features of our top 8 best light therapy lamps.
Buying Guide of The Best Light Therapy Lamps for SAD
If you need help getting the best light therapy lamps for depression, this section contains a sort of guide that is expected to help you narrow down your search and ease your selection process.
Below are few things to look out for in getting the best light therapy lamps:
- Clinical Testing: The light therapy lamp that you are planning to get should be clinically proven to work. This means that the lamp has undergone clinical testing and screening procedures and its effectiveness has been ascertained.
- Safe for Use: Another important point to consider is the safety of the device. A light therapy lamp with diffusion screens that filters UV radiation is a great option. Also, be sure that the lamp does not emit ultraviolet radiation and other harmful rays to prevent health complications.
- Surface Area: Light Therapy lamps with large surface areas usually have a better effect than smaller ones, they cover a larger part of the body and are usually more effective in meeting your light needs. Hence, if you have the means, you should get a large light therapy lamp with a large surface area.
- Design: If you are particular about your decor or room outlook, you should opt for an option that matches your decor, whether you need the lamp for office use or home use, Light Therapy lamps with classy and modern outlooks would be a great pick. Light lamps with compact designs with a foldable bracket and travel bags are also a great option for people who want to use the device on the go.
- Sufficient Output: The light lamp should be able to generate sufficient light intensity up to 10,000 lux of soft white fluorescent light, this is equivalent to the intensity of normal natural light and it has the same therapeutic effect. Light therapy lamps are not suitable for people with bipolar disorders and eye-related issues including glaucoma, and cataracts. Also, before shopping for a light lamp, ensure that you consult your doctor, just in case you have underlying conditions that might make light lamps unsuitable for you.
The Best Light Therapy Lamps for SAD
Verilux HappyLight Full-size UV Free Therapy Lamp – Editor’s Choice
- UV-FREE, FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT - Light therapy lamp that delivers up to 10,000 lux for effective, safe, and natural light...
- PERSONALIZED SETTINGS - Customize your experience with 2 brightness levels, 2 interchangeable lenses, and the detachable...
- IMPROVE SLEEP, MOOD, FOCUS, ENERGY - Bright light therapy improves sleep, boosts mood, increases energy, enhances focus, and...
- EASY TO USE & PRACTICAL - The HappyLight Full-Size is ideal for use at home and on tabletops like desks, nightstands, and...
Verilux HappyLight full-size UV Free Therapy Lamp is our foremost best light therapy for SAD. It provides an easy and customized way to access a comfy therapy session from the comfort of your home or office space.
It has the advantage of fortifying the body with the right kind of energy, improving the overall mood, aiding normal body functioning, and helping users sleep better.
There is no risk involved in its use and it is easy to use as well as effective.
- Simple mode of operation: All that is needed to commence therapy is to use the simple touch controls and you are set for some soothing and enjoyable therapy session. Verilux HappyLight full-size therapy is also suitable for use at any place of your choice from your homes to office spaces. It also features a detachable stand that aids the easy placement of the device as well as wall mounting.
- UV-Safe Therapy: The lamp is equipped to ensure a safe and natural light therapy that is effective. It emits up to 10,000 lux of soft white light that is free from UV radiation.
- Customized Settings: The light also comes with an option for controlling the settings to suit your needs and convenience including 2 brightness options, high energy and comfort optic glare control, and 2 interchangeable lenses.
- Therapeutic Advantages: Verilux HappyLight full-size therapy has the following benefits:
- Overall boosting of the mood
- Stimulation of hormones that improve sleep patterns
- Increase the energy level of the body
- Enhanced normal body functioning
- 1-Year Warranty: Verilux HappyLight therapy is a US-based product that comes with a 1-year warranty.
Verilux HappyLight Touch Plus UV Free LED Therapy Lamp
- UV-FREE, LED, FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT - Light therapy lamp that delivers up to 10,000 lux for effective, safe, and natural light...
- PERSONALIZED SETTINGS - Customize your experience with 3 brightness levels, 2 HappyHue color temperature options for maximum...
- IMPROVE SLEEP, MOOD, FOCUS, ENERGY - Bright light therapy improves sleep, boosts mood, increases energy, and enhances focus,...
- PORTABLE & PRACTICAL - The ultra-thin tablet design with detachable stand and wall mount makes HappyLight Touch portable...
Our second-best option is another powerful and effective Verilux product. The Verilux HappyLight Touch Plus UV Free LED Therapy Lamp comes in a portable design with a detachable stand for easy set up alongside simple to use functions that make therapy customization possible for an enjoyable therapy session.
It has the advantage of boosting sleep patterns, curing insomnia, improving the mood, and energizing the body.
- Simple to Use: Verilux HappyLight Touch Plus UV Free LED Therapy Lamp features simple controls for an easy and seamless operation of the device. It is equipped with 3 brightness levels for controlling screen brightness, 2 color temperature options, and a countdown timer.
- Portable Design: The device comes in a portable and lightweight design that makes it convenient to move around. It also features a detachable stand for easy mounting on walls in a way that would be convenient for users.
- UV Free Effect: Verilux HappyLight Touch Plus is equipped with 144 LED lights for an even distribution of bright light up to 10,000 lux. The white fluorescent light is free from UV radiation, ensuring an entirely safe therapy session.
- Therapeutic Advantages: Verilux HappyLight Touch Plus has the following advantages:
- Aids better sleep pattern
- Improves the mood
- Induces energy boost for more productivity
- Aids the normal functioning of the body
- 3-Years Warranty: The device comes with a 3 years warranty on the device.
Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp
- Stylish And UV-Free: These mood light sun lamps are not only good for us but they make a fashionable addition to any space...
- Light Is Essential: Sunlight regulates the cycles of our bodies and our moods. With people spending more time indoors these...
- Effective: This therapy light provides the recommended 10,000 LUX of brightness to help the winter blues, regulate sleep,...
- Longer Lasting: The LED natural light lamp lasts approximately 50,000 hours -- a longer life than fluorescent bulbs -- and...
Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp comes in a sleek and portable design while featuring the latest LED technology that provides an easy way to calm the nerves for optimum productivity. It is the first light therapy Lamp to come with a USB port.
Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp is easy to use and customize. The lamp lasts longer than normal fluorescent bulbs, providing the right quality of light that the body needs to feel better and deliver better.
- Easy to Use: Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp features a one-touch operation with which you can switch on the device. It is equipped with 3 levels of brightness for controlling brightness levels. It also features 3 hinges for easy placement of the light, this enables the device to be adjusted by rotation in multiple ways.
- Portable Design: The lamp comes in a slim and portable design that requires less space for placement and also suitable for use at home and in public spaces. It also comes with 3 hinges and a rotating function for convenient placement.
- Effective: Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp emits 10,000 lux worth of soft white light which has the following benefits:
- Improves the mood
- Aids the maintenance of a healthy sleep cycle
- Reduces tiredness and energizes the body
- Aids concentration and overall daily performance
- New Technology: The lamp uses the latest LED technology and lensing for better performance. It also features a USB port for charging mobile devices.
- A light that Lasts: Circadian Optics Light therapy Lamp typically lasts longer than fluorescent bulbs. It produces quality light with a similar therapeutic effect as the midday sun that can last for up to 50,000 hours for maximum therapeutic effect.
Alaska Northern Lights Northstar
- Full 10,000 LUX at 24 inches; Comfortable low glare prismatic light diffuser to protect your eyes.
- Includes a 25,000 hertz electronic ballast with no irritating flicker or electromagnetic field.
- Comfortable and convenient; Use the bright lamp either horizontally or vertically.
- Features 2 broad spectrum Biax bulbs with no harmful UV rays
Alaska Northern Lights Northstar is our next best light therapy lamps for depression. It is recommended by doctors as a natural therapy that works with zero side effects.
The light comes in a unique design with a large surface area for more reach and better effect, more than one person can benefit from the light at a go.
With plenty of positive feedbacks, the light stands out as a highly effective therapy that is convenient and easy to use.
- Multi-person Use: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar is suitable for use by more than one person as it is equipped with a large surface area with a convenient range for maximum effect.
- 2 Broad Spectrum Bulbs: The light features two broad-spectrum light bulbs for a faster optimal effect. It emits only safe white light without UV radiation.
- High Mirror Finish Reflector: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar is also equipped with a high Mirror Finish reflector which creates an ideal distance that would give you the best of the light therapy.
- Convenient Placement: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar is designed in such a way that it can be turned vertically and horizontally for a comfy placement of the device.
- Great Performance: The light features a 25,000 Hertz electronic ballast and full 10,000 lux of white light for maximum effect.
- Eye Protection: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar also comes with a light diffuser to protect the eyes from the bright white light.
- Long-lasting Fluorescent: The light lasts longer than any normal light bulb and it is highly effective.
- Energy and Mood Boosting Advantage: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar also has the advantage of improving the overall mood and increasing the energy level of the body for maximum productivity.
Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Bright Light Therapy Lamp
- 10000 LUX LIGHT THERAPY LAMP (AT 12"). Daylight Lamp provides the recommended 10,000 LUX of glare-free white light. Sunlight...
- LED THERAPY LIGHT. The Mayo Clinic suggests using light therapy. Our natural light lamp brings you a light therapy lamp that...
- FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT. MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS. A large sun light lamp that provides superior light therapy. Our light therapy...
- CLINICAL STRENGTH, INDUSTRY LEADER. Raise your mood, improve your sleep, recover from jet lag, or boost your low energy using...
Carex Day-Light Classic Plus is another high-quality light therapy lamp that is super effective.
It is equipped with easy and comfy features for an enjoyable therapy session and long-lasting effect.
Carex Day-Light Classic Plus emits quality and safe natural light that is UV safe and effective, providing the perfect solution to sleep disorders and mood swings.
- Comfy Design: Carex Day-Light Classic Plus features a safe and glare-free screen alongside a moveable stand for positioning the lamp at a convenient angle. It also features 2 light settings and an adjustable height for convenient placement.
- Highly Effective: The lamp features a full light spectrum for optimum effect alongside 2 light settings for a comfy therapy session.
- Broad Spectrum Light: Carex Day-Light Classic Plus produces 10,000 lux of light at a 12-inches range so you can enjoy the maximum soothing effect of the light at a distant range.
- UV Free White Light: The lamp emits natural white light with no side effects while effectively blocking out 99.3% of UV radiation for the protection of the eyes.
- Therapeutic Effect: Carex Day-Light Classic Plus has the following advantages:
- Aids a healthy sleep-wake pattern
- Energy-boosting effect
- Improve the mood.
- 5-Year Warranty: The lamp comes with a 5-year warranty on the device.
Vearmoad UV-Free LED Light Therapy Lamp
Vearmoad UV-free LED light therapy lamp is one of our best light therapy lamps. It comes in a modern and compact design that can be taken along with you everywhere you go.
The device is easy to use and convenient to operate with simple and adjustable functions.
It is also an energy-saving device that acts as a safe and efficient replacement for sunlight energy with no adverse effect on the health of the users.
- Compact and Portable: Vearmoad UV-free LED light therapy lamp comes in a lightweight and compact design that is easy to move around. It also features a foldable bracket for adjusting the device and placing it at an angle that you find convenient.
- Natural Technology: The lamp emits safe and natural white light up to 10,000 lux which can help to alleviate your mood and spice up your day.
- Safe Therapy: Vearmoad UV-free LED light therapy lamp is an environmentally friendly device that is certified by FCC and ROHS as free from UV rays and other harmful radiations. It is safe for the eyes and skin.
- Modern Interface: Vearmoad UV-free LED light therapy lamp features the recent 5V TPC interface which is more stable and has an energy-saving advantage.
- Adjustable Timer: The lamp features an adjustable auto timer that can be adjusted to meet your needs. The timer can be adjusted at an interval of 15 minutes from 15 to 60 minutes.
- Memory Control: The memory control function helps to turn on the light from the previous brightness setting.
- Touch Control: The light brightness can be controlled by pressing the touch panel. You can also adjust the brightness as it features 3 brightness levels for more comfort.
Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Philips wake-up lights are recommended by physicians and pharmacists for establishing a healthy sleep and...
- PERSONALIZATION: Customized sunset and sunrise
- SMART FEATURES: midnight lamp, FM radio, phone charging dock, power back-up, speaker, auto dimming display and smart snooze
- MOOD AND ENERGY: proven to give you an easy and energetic wake-up and improve your mood in the morning
Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60 is a smart device that uses a combination of sound and light to help you fall asleep easily and seamlessly.
It is equipped to help you personalize your sleep routine naturally and safely as it comes with smart features including an Fm radio, midnight lamp, phone charging dock, 25 brightness settings, smart snooze option, and more.
Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60 is clinically proven to improve the overall sleep experience.
- Customized Settings: Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60 features an adjustable sunrise effect with 5 different colors of light and a smart snooze that helps you to wake up feeling well-rested and refreshed. It also features a sunset stimulation with relax breathe function to help you slip into the night without hassle.
- Clinically Approved: The light is recommended by physicians and pharmacists as a therapy that would help to maintain a and healthy sleep and wake routine.
- Therapeutic Effect: Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60 helps you to wake up energized and stay energized through the day while improving your mood.
- 25 Brightness Settings: The light comes with 25 brightness settings for you to choose the intensity of light that is just right for you.
- Smart Features: Philips Smart Sleep and Wake-up Light HF3650/60 features a midnight lamp, power back-up, phone charging port, smart snooze, auto-dimming display, and Fm radio, speaker.
- 90-days Money Back Guarantee: The light device also comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee just in case you have any complaints.
Aura Day Light Lamp
- CLINICAL STRENGTH- 10,000 Lux of Bright Light to help beat the Winter Blues, Circadian Sleep Disorders, Shift Work...
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY- The Aura Daylight Therapy Lamp features a patented lux adjusting dial so that YOU are in full control of...
- TIMER FEATURE- The built-in timer feature adds additional flexibility! The timer can be set at ten minute intervals from...
- WALL MOUNTABLE- The Daylight Therapy Lamp easily mounts onto the wall. The stand folds up for simplified storage.
Aura Day Light Lamp is our final op for best light therapy lamp for SAD. It comes in a classy and modern design that is fit for use in any setting.
The lamp provides great relief for those suffering from winter blues with its full intensity white light of 10,000 lux. It also has the advantage of boosting mood and body energy, focus, and concentration.
- Attractive Design: Aura Day Light Lamp comes in an award-winning sleek and attractive design that is suitable in both corporate spaces and at home.
- Easy Placement: Aura Day Light Lamp features a stand that makes it foldable for more space. It has a dual tilt angle and can also be wall-mounted as users desire.
- Patented Therapy: The device features a patented lux adjusting dial that allows users to gain maximum control of the light therapy. At the lowest setting, the lux output is 3500 lux and 10,000 lux at the highest setting.
- Adjustable Angle: The device can be adjusted to an angle of 85 or 70 degrees for more comfortability.
- Built-in Timer: Aura Day Light Lamp features a built-in timer that can be set at 10 minutes intervals for 60 to 10 minutes and would automatically shut off when treatment is complete.
- Clinical Strength: The device is effective against:
- Circadian sleep disorders
- Cure winter blues
- Shift work adjustment
- Jet lag and low energy
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between winter blues and SAD?
Winter blues occurs during periods with winter hours of reduced daylight. Winter blues are usually characterized by sadness, energy depletion, tiredness, and weight gain. SAD is somewhat like winter blues but with more severe symptoms including chronic depression, excessive sleeping, loss of concentration, low libido, increased consumption of sugary foods, anxiety amongst others.
How do I know if I could benefit from using bright light?
Bright light therapy is ideal for you if you are suffering from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), sleep disorders, winter blues, depression, shift work adjustment, jet lag, or low energy levels.
How long does it take to experience the benefit of bright light therapy?
The duration may vary with different people. But typically, most people experience changes in a week and symptoms may reoccur if they stop treatment.
All things being equal, there should be an improvement in the result as treatment time increases.
On average, you should use it for at least a month before you can ascertain whether the treatment is working or not.
When is the use of bright light not recommended?
Bright light therapy is not suitable for people with bipolar disorder and eye issues including glaucoma, cataract, and other conditions that can lead to complications. For safety reasons, you should consult your doctor before using bright light therapy.