Cold laser therapy is a modern technology that uses low-level light for the treatment of different health conditions.
The light emitted in this therapy is a low-level light that is mild and does not involve heat production and this is why it is called cold laser therapy.
It is different from the lasers used in surgeries which may involve heat production and these type of lasers are used for major surgical operations.
What is cold laser therapy
Cold laser therapy is a non-invasive and painless therapy that uses low-level light of varying wavelengths (red or near Infrared light) to combat various conditions.
Red light works at a wavelength of 650 nm and it is suitable for improving skin collagen production for a smooth and glowing skin tone and stimulating the rapid healing of wounds.
On the other hand, near-infrared light works at a wavelength of 850 nm which penetrates deeper into the muscle and joints, stimulating deep tissue healing and pain relief.
Does FDA Approve the Use of Cold Laser Therapy?
There are quite a lot of cold laser therapy devices up for sale in the market and a good number of them are certified by the food and drug administration (FDA) as safe for use at home, however, FDA does not guarantee that they work.
Since the safety of the therapy is guaranteed to a large extent, then you do not have too much to lose (well, except a few bucks) if you try.
How does it work?
The way cold laser therapy works is not exactly clear and truth be told, it does not work for everyone.
Whether or not cold laser therapy would work depends on some factors, including:
- The individuals involved – Different individuals have different response behavior to cold laser therapy. While it may work for some individuals, it may be quite ineffective for others and this does not mean that the therapy is ineffective.
- The condition being treated – Another factor that determines whether or not cold laser can work is the condition for treatment. Cold laser therapy does not resolve all health issues. For example, it cannot treat cancer. However, it is effective against a lot of them including inflammation, body pains, acne, fatigue, and others
- The cold laser therapy device – There are different types of cold laser therapy devices with different specifications, this may determine their performance.
- Consistency of Use – Cold laser therapy is not magic and it does not work once, it is a therapy that requires consistent use for a specific duration before its effect can be felt. If you do not use the therapy as you ought to, you would most likely see little or no result, and this does not mean that cold laser therapy is ineffective.
What are the Conditions that Cold Laser Therapy Can Possibly Treat?
Cold laser therapy is used to treat different conditions including:
- Pain on different parts of the body including the joint
- Diabetic neuropathy etc
Pros and Cons of Cold Laser Therapy
- It is a non-invasive treatment method
- It does not involve the use of drugs
- Therapy is painless and does not pose a severe risk of side effects
- Cold laser therapy treatment can be customized
- Treatment has to be consistently repeated to get a result
- It does not work for everyone.